The process of the ‘Unification of Italy’ was as following-
1. During the middle of the nineteenth century, Italy was divided into seven states, of which only one, Sardinia-Piedmont, was ruled by an Italian princely house.
2. The north was under Austrian Habsburgs; the center was ruled by the Pope and the southern regions were under the domination of the Bourbon kings of Spain
3. The unification of Italy started with the secret societies formed by Giuseppe Mazzini like the Young Italy and the Young Europe.
4. Chief Minister Cavour led the movement to unify the regions through a tactful diplomatic alliance with France, and Sardinia-Piedmont succeeded in defeating the Austrian forces in 1859.
5. Garibaldi with his armed volunteers called red shirts defeated the Bourbon kings of Spain freeing the kingdom of 2 Sicilia’s
6. In 1861 Victor Emmanuel II was proclaimed king of united Italy.
Note- The Unification of Italy was the work of 3 main leaders: Giuseppe Garibaldi, Count Cavour, and Victory Emmanuel II.
Rate this question :