JEE Main Maths Syllabus 2020 with Weightage, Download PDF
Get Syllabus of JEE Mains for Mathematics
The first step towards preparing for JEE Main 2020 is to acquaint yourself with the JEE Main syllabus. The examination will have questions from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with equal weightage given to all subjects. The syllabus of JEE Main Maths consists of four sections, which are Algebra, Calculus, Coordinate Geometry, and Trigonometry.
To ensure that you are able to secure a good rank in the examination, we have offered the CBSE recommended JEE Main 2020 Syllabus. You can go through the topic-wise syllabus of all the subjects. In the section of Maths syllabus, you will also get the important Maths Topics of JEE Main 2020. Moreover, you can also download the PDF of the JEE Main Maths Syllabus by clicking on the link provided at the end of the post.
JEE Main 2020 will be conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) in January 2020 and April 2020. But before moving to the syllabus, let us discuss the JEE Main 2020 exam pattern.
JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern
The salient features of JEE Main are as follows:
- The exam will be of 3 hours in duration. The JEE Main question paper will be of 300 marks. Each question will be allotted 4 marks.
- A total of 25 questions will be asked where there are 30 questions each from the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Candidates will have to mark the correct response for each question out of four given responses.
- Each correct question will fetch 4 marks. Every wrong answer in objective type questions will result in the deduction of one mark due to the negative marking of ¼ (one-fourth) of the total marks, no negative marking will be there in Numerical type questions.
Weightage of the Topics of JEE Main Maths
Number of questions asked in JEE Main 2019
Number of questions asked in JEE Main 2019
Relations & Functions
Solutions of Triangles & Heights and Distances
Matrices & Determinants
Complex Numbers& Quadratic Equations
Continuity & Differentiability
Permutations & Combinations
Application of Differentiation
Progression, Series, and Binomial Theorem
Applications of Integrals
Limits & Differentiation
Mathematical Reasoning and Induction
Total Number of Questions
JEE Main 2020 Maths Syllabus
Candidates can find below the detail of JEE Main 2020 Mathematics syllabus. For getting JEE Main Maths Chapter-wise weightage and most important topics to cover, click on the link below:
JEE Main Algebra Syllabus
UNIT 1: Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations
- Complex numbers as ordered pairs of reals
- Representation of complex numbers in the form a+ib and their representation in a plane
- Argand diagram
- Algebra of complex numbers
- Modulus and argument (or amplitude) of a complex number
- Square root of a complex number
- Triangle inequality
- Quadratic equations in real and complex number system and their solutions
- Relation between roots and co-efficients, nature of roots, formation of quadratic equations with given roots.
UNIT 2: Matrices and Determinants
- Matrices & algebra of matrices
- Types of matrices
- Determinants and matrices of order two and three.
- Properties & evaluation of determinants
- Area of triangles using determinants.
- Adjoint and evaluation of inverse of a square matrix using determinants and elementary transformations
- Test of consistency
- Solution of simultaneous linear equations in two or three variables using determinants and matrices.
UNIT 3: Permutations and Combinations
- Fundamental principle of counting
- Permutation as arrangement and combination as selection
- Meaning of P (n,r) and C (n,r), simple applications.
UNIT 4: Mathematical Induction and Reasoning
- Principle of Mathematical Induction and its simple applications.
- Statements, logical operations. 'and', 'or', 'implies', 'implied by', 'if and only if'.
- Understanding of tautology, contradiction, converse and contrapositive.
UNIT 5: Binomial Theorem
- Binomial theorem for a positive integral index
- General term and middle term
- Properties of Binomial coefficients
- Applications of Binomial Theorems
UNIT 6: Sequences and Series
- Arithmetic and Geometric progression
- Insertion of arithmetic, geometric means between two given numbers.
- Relation between A.M. and G.M.
- Sum up to n terms of special series: Sn, Sn2, Sn3.
- Arithmetic - Geometric progression.
UNIT 7: Statistics and Probability
Measures of Dispersion
- Calculation of mean, median, mode of grouped and ungrouped data.
- Calculation of standard deviation, variance and mean deviation for grouped and ungrouped data.
- Probability of an event, addition and multiplication theorems of probability
- Baye’s theorem
- Probability distribution of a random variate
- Bernoulli trials and Binomial distribution.
JEE Main Calculus Syllabus
UNIT 8: Sets, Relations and Functions
- Sets and their representation
- Union, intersection and complement of sets and their algebraic properties
- Power set
- Relation and its types
- Equivalence relations
- Functions: One-one, into, and onto functions
- Composition of functions.
UNIT 9: Limit, Continuity and Differentiability
- Real-valued functions
- Algebra of functions
- Rational, trigonometric, logarithmic and exponential functions
- Inverse functions
- Graphs of simple functions
- Limits, continuity and differentiability
- Differentiation of the sum, difference, product and quotient of two functions
- Differentiation of trigonometric, inverse trigonometric, logarithmic, exponential, composite and implicit functions
- Derivatives of order up to two.
UNIT 10: Applications of Derivatives
- Applications of derivatives
- Rate of change of quantities
- Monotonic- increasing and decreasing functions
- Maxima and minima of functions of one variable
- Tangents and normals
- Rolle’s and Lagrange’s Mean Value Theorems
UNIT 11: Integral Calculus
- Integral as an anti-derivative
- Fundamental integrals involving algebraic, trigonometric, exponential and logarithmic functions
- Integration by substitution, by parts and by partial fractions
- Integration using trigonometric identities
UNIT 12: Differential Equations
- Ordinary differential equations, their order and degree
- Formation of differential equations
- Solution of differential equations by the method of separation of variables
- Solution of homogeneous and linear differential equations.
JEE Main Coordinate Geometry Syllabus
UNIT 13: Co-ordinate Geometry
- Cartesian system of rectangular co-ordinates in a plane
- Distance formula & section formula
- Locus and its equation
- Translation of axes
- Slope of a line
- Parallel and perpendicular lines
- Intercepts of a line on the coordinate axes.
- Various forms of equations of a line
- Intersection of lines & angles between two lines
- Conditions for the concurrence of three lines
- Distance of a point from a line
- Equations of internal and external bisectors of angles between two lines
- Coordinates of the centroid, orthocentre, and circumcentre of a triangle
- Equation of family of lines passing through the point of intersection of two lines
Circles, conic sections
- General and standard form of the equation of a circle, its radius, and centre
- Equation of a circle when the end points of a diameter are given
- Points of intersection of a line and a circle with the centre at the origin
- Condition for a line to be tangent to a circle
- Equation of the tangent
- Sections of cones
- Equations of conic sections (parabola, ellipse and hyperbola) in standard forms
- Condition for y = mx + c to be a tangent and point (s) of tangency.
UNIT 14: Three Dimensional Geometry
- Coordinates of a point in space
- Distance between two points
- Section formula
- Direction ratios and direction cosines
- Angle between two intersecting lines
- Skew lines, the shortest distance between them and their equation
- Equations of a line and a plane in different forms
- Intersection of a line and a plane
- Coplanar lines
UNIT 15: Vector Algebra
- Vectors and scalars
- Addition of vectors
- Components of a vector in two dimensions and three-dimensional space
- Scalar and vector products
- Scalar and vector triple product
JEE Main Trigonometry Syllabus
UNIT 16: Trigonometry
- Trigonometrical identities and equations
- Trigonometrical functions
- Inverse trigonometrical functions and their properties
- Heights and Distance
Now you have the detailed syllabus of JEE Main 2020 Mathematics Syllabus, therefore you must be ready to start with your preparation.
All the best