Neighboring Countries of India and their Capitals
Know all the neighbouring countries and their capitals in this article. Here we will discuss all nine countries near India.
The neighbouring countries of India either share a land border or located in proximity to the Indian soil. India is the seventh-largest by land area and second-most populous country in the world. Among the neighbours of India, 7 countries share their border with Indian soil whereas the remaining two countries are located near to it.
In this article, you will get to know the list of neighbouring countries of India, their geographical features, and capitals.
Neighbours of India
- Afghanistan: Afghanistan spans an area of 6,52,230 km2 and has an estimated population of over 32 million. Located in the northern region to India, Afghanistan shares a small border with the Indian soil. The country also shares its border with Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Iran, and China. Its capital Kabul is the largest city.
- Bangladesh: Situated in South-Asia, it encloses an area of about 1,47,570 km2 with a population of over 161 million. Bangladesh is linked with India to the west, north, and east regions. The country forms a connection with Myanmar to the southeast and the Bay of Bengal to the south. The capital of Bangladesh is Dhaka.
- Bhutan: Located in the Eastern Himalayas, Bhutan shares its land border with Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Sikkim and West Bengal. It is considered as the second-least populous nation in the southeast with an estimated population of 0.74 million. The country stands over an area of about 38,394 km2. The capital of Bhutan is Thimphu. This country is known for its beautiful landscape, rich valleys, and dense forests.
- China: The world’s most populous country with an estimated population of over 1.42 billion is connected to Indian soil via Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, and Uttarakhand. It is the third-largest country of the world behind Russia and Canada with an area of 95,96,961 km2. The capital of China is Beijing; Shanghai is its largest city.
- Maldives: A small island of South Asia, which do not share a land border with any country. However, it is listed among the neighbouring countries of India as it is only 1,000 kilometres away from the Asian continent. It is the smallest Asian country by land size, with an estimated population of about 0.6 million. The capital of Maldives is Male, which is alternatively called “King’s Island”.
- Myanmar: Located in the southeast, Myanmar forms a connection with Bangladesh, Indian, and China. Its land touches Indian soil via Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, and Nagaland. Enclosing the land area of 6,76,578 km2, it is occupied by over 53 million people. The capital of Myanmar is Naypyidaw.
- Nepal: Known for its diverse geography, tall mountains, and fertile plains, the country forms a connection with India via Bihar, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and West Bengal. Its official language is Nepali and its capital is Kathmandu. This South Asian country occupies an area of 1,47,181 km2 and has an estimated population of over 28 million people.
- Pakistan: Pakistan is the world’s fifth-most populous country with over 212 million inhabitants. It spans an area of 8,81,913 km2. Pakistan shares its land border with India via Gujarat, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, and Rajasthan. Its other neighbouring countries are Oman, Afghanistan, Iran, and China. The capital of Pakistan is Islamabad; its largest city is Karachi.
- Sri Lanka: Located in the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is an island country which does not share a land border with Indian soil, but is present in proximity. The official languages of Sri Lanka are Sinhala and Tamil. This country occupies a land area of 65,610 km2 with an estimated population of over 21 million people. The capital of Sri Lanka is Colombo.
Neighbouring Countries of India and their Capitals
Below we have tabulated the list of neighbours of India along with their geographical location with respect to India and capitals.
List of Neighbours of India
Not only from the competitive exam perspective, but you also get to come across such topics in your day-to-day routine. So, go through the list of neighbouring countries of India and their capitals thoroughly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Name all the countries near to India.
The list of neighbours of India are as follows.
- Sri Lanka
- What is the policy of India towards its neighbouring countries?
India has always extended the hand of friendship with all its neighbours. The policy of India towards its neighbours is to strengthen good relations and settle all the disputes with her neighbours peacefully.
- Which is the smallest country among all neighbouring countries of India?
Bhutan is the smallest neighbouring country of India.
- Which island countries are neighbours of India?
There are two island countries near India which are- Sri Lanka & Maldives.