• Productivity-The rate of biomass production is called productivity.
• Gross primary productivity (GPP) of an ecosystem is the rate of production of organic matter during photosynthesis.
• Net primary productivity (NPP)-A considerable amount of GPP is utilized by plants in respiration. Therefore the net primary productivity is the gross primary productivity minus respiration losses (R).
GPP – R = NPP
• For the consumption of heterotrophs (herbivores and decomposers), the available biomass is the net primary productivity.
• Secondary productivity- the rate of formation of new organic matter by consumers.
Rate this question :