Q. 205.0( 5 Votes )
Write the different methods of food preservation.
Different methods of food preservation are-
1. Storage and Packing: where water is removed from foodstuff preventing the growth of microbes. Examples- vegetables, dry fruits, pulses, spices etc.
2. Preservation by chemicals- Sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulphite etc. are used as preservatives to store pickles, jam, squashes etc. They prevent the attack of the microbes.
3. Preservation by Common Salt- Adding of common salt helps to preserve meat, fish for ages.
4. Preservation by sugar- sugar is added to jam, jellies, squashes which reduces the moisture content which inhibits the growth of bacteria which spoil food.
5. Preservation of oil and vinegar- Use of oil and vinegar prevents spoilage of pickles because bacteria cannot live in such an environment. Vegetables, fruits, fish and meat are often preserved by this method.
6. Pasteurization- Pasteurization is a process in which the liquid substance is heated to a temperature of 70oC for 15 to 30 Seconds and the suddenly chilled and stored. It is used to preserve wine, milk etc.
7. Irradiation- High energy gamma rays or X-rays are used to preserve foods.
8. Vacuum drying- Milk is converted into milk powder by this process where moisture is removed.
9. Proper storage and packing- dry fruits, vegetables are properly stored and sealed in air-tight packets.
10. Hot and cold treatment- We can boil food and store or we can refrigerate foods at very low temperature. Because microbes die at very high or low temperature.
Rate this question :
Name two fruits which are preserved:
(a) in the form of pickles
(b) in the form of jams.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Does salt prevent food spoilage? How?All in One - Science
Write the different methods of food preservation.All in One - Science
What will happen to 'pooris' and 'unused kneaded flour' if they are left in the open for a day or two?NCERT - Science Exemplar
Paheli watched her grandmother making mango pickle. After she bottled the pickle, her grandmother poured oil on the top of the pickle before closing the lid. Paheli wanted to know why oil was poured? Can you help her understand why?NCERT - Science Exemplar
After consuming a dish of mutton, a person complained of nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and pain in the abdomen.
(a) what type if disease is he suffering from?
(b) What causes this disease?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name two food materials which can be preserved by using oil or vinegar.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name any two special chemicals which are used as food preservatives.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name some of the preservatives which are used in the preservation of fruits and vegetables as pickles.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
What is meant by food preservation? Name any five methods of preserving food.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science