Q. 105.0( 1 Vote )
Write short notes
Drought prone area programme was an important programme initiated for the relief of the drought-affected area.
• This programme was initiated during the fourth five year plan period.
• The main objective was to provide employment to the people of the drought-affected areas.
• Also, the objective was to develop productive assets in that region.
• For bringing in development, it adopted several measures like afforestation, land-development, grassland development, creating infrastructural facilities like roads, electric supply etc.
• This programme has really helped in the development of dryland agriculture in India.
• Proper irrigation has been supplied t the agricultural fields which could not carry out their farming activities due to the lack of irrigation.
• Land development measures helped to transform dry, arid regions into lush greenery.
• Watershed management programmes which were undertaken under this programme, helped to reduce the scarcity of water in the drought-prone areas.
• Creation of infrastructural facilities helped to bring in new investment in the drought-affected areas, thus creating employment opportunities for the local people.
In this way, the drought-prone area programme helped in the development of dryland agriculture in India.
Rate this question :