Q. 9 B4.5( 2 Votes )
Write an assignment on the modern plastic road being made by used-plastics.
1. Plastic roads are roads that use plastic as the base material as opposed to asphalt. The idea of plastic roads is relatively recent, and several variations exist regarding the true composition of the mixture.
2. In India, plastic roads are made of a mixture of plastic and bitumen. Since, not all plastics have the same properties, PVC, PP and other specific plastics are selected from the waste, melted at high temperatures and then fused with bitumen to be used as tar.
3. The greatest advantage of plastic roads is that they are resistant to wear and tear. They can sustain prolonged exposure to rain and sun, and stay intact. They are also relatively crack-proof and bear larger stress than their asphalt counterparts.
4. Plastic roads seem like the ultimate future. With the amount of waste plastic skyrocketing, and the natural minerals being run amuck, plastic roads offer a viable solution to the great waste problem.
5. However, despite all the positives, plastic roads are still a while away. Several samples of such roads have failed, due to inadequate sticking capacity. Greater research on the material aspect of the composition is necessitated to make a substantial contribution to the development of plastic roads.
Rate this question :