Q. 83.8( 12 Votes )
Write a short note on judicial review.
● The Indian judiciary is one of the most powerful in the world.
● The Supreme Court and the High Courts have the power to interpret the Constitution of the country.
● They can declare any law of the legislature or the actions of the executive, invalid.
● They can corrective action if they find any law is violated at the Union level or the State level.
● They can determine the Constitutional validity of any legislation or action of the executive in the country.
● This is called the judicial review.
Rate this question :
Which of the following statements about the judiciary is false?
(a) Every law passed by the Parliament needs approval of the Supreme Court
(b) Judiciary can strike down a law if it goes against the spirit of the Constitution.
(c) Judiciary is independent of the Executive.
(d) Any citizen can approach the courts if her rights are violated.NCERT Political Science - Democratic Politics I
After reading the example of the reservation order, three students had different reactions about the role of the judiciary. Which view, according to you, is correct reading of the role of judiciary?
(a) Srinivas argues that since the Supreme Court agreed with the government, it is not independent.
(b) Anjaiah says that judiciary is independent because it could have given a verdict against the government order. The Supreme Court did direct the government to modify it.
(c) Vijaya thinks that the judiciary is neither independent nor conformist, but acts as a mediator between opposing parties. The court struck a good balance between those who supported and those who opposed the order.NCERT Political Science - Democratic Politics I