Q. 64.2( 6 Votes )
Write a short note on basic principles of the Indian Constitution.
The Preamble of the Indian Constitution forms the basic structure of the Indian Constitution. The Supreme Court in its landmark judgment on the Keshavananda Bharati Case argued that the basic principles of the Indian Constitution could not be changed or amended in any circumstances. As they form the basic structure of the Constitution which cannot be undermined. This includes:
• Sovereignty and Republic- this means that the ultimate authority of the government comes from the people. Also, there is no external authority that controls India.
• Fundamental rights- a democratic system is one which grants each citizen certain fundamental rights. These rights are guarded by our Constitution and form the guidelines for framing the laws.
• Federalism- India has a strong central government with states as subsidiary units. The power flows from top to bottom.
• Independent judiciary- it is the third organ of government which conducts all the legal work. It is both independent and unbiased.
• Secularism and socialism also came to form a part of basic structure. These words were added to the Indian Constitution by the 42nd amendment act 1976.
Thus, these basic principles form the strength of our democracy which cannot be disturbed.
Rate this question :
How has the Constitution defined and changed political institutions in the country?AP Board - Social Studies
How does the Constitution reflect the political events of the time? Draw from previous chapters on freedom struggle.AP Board - Social Studies
What difference would it have made to the making of our Constitution if the Assembly had been elected through universal adult franchise?AP Board - Social Studies
Correct the false statements:
• There was unanimity of opinion on all provisions during CA debates
• The makers of Constitution represented only certain regions of the country
• Constitution provides certain provisions to amend articles in it
• Supreme Court of India has said that basic features of Constitution may also be amendedAP Board - Social Studies
While the Constitution provides basic principles, it is the engagement of people with the system that brings in social change. Do you agree with this statement, give reasons.AP Board - Social Studies
Write a short note on basic principles of the Indian Constitution.AP Board - Social Studies
Describe the unitary and federal principles of the Indian government as discussed in the CA debates.AP Board - Social Studies
Find the odd one out:
• Indian Constitution adopts from experiences of the freedom struggle
• Indian Constitution adopts from already existing Constitutions
• Indian Constitution has remained the same since its drafting
• Indian Constitution provides principles and provisions for ruling the countryAP Board - Social Studies