Write a note on the Right to Freedom
The Right to Freedom is one of the 6 Fundamental Rights present in the Constitution that are available to every Indian citizen. It is covered by Articles 19-22 of the Constitution. The Right to Freedom goes hand in hand with the Right to Equality, as it ensures that every citizen has the right to freely develop his/her identity or personality, and are considered as the rights of individuals.
The Right to Freedom covers many different aspects to help protect and empower people.
1. First, Indian citizens have the right to move freely anywhere within India without hindrance.
2. Secondly, citizens are empowered to choose their own means of livelihood.
3. Third, it ensures that citizens can freely assemble/call meetings, but without the presence of weapons, and government restricts can be put on this.
4. Fourth, citizens have the right to freedom of expression and speech. However, this may be done in a way that does not restrict the same freedom for others, and should not be in a derogatory fashion.
5. Some other aspects to the Right to Freedom are that nobody can be forced to produce evidence against himself/herself (in fact, this is also a key feature of the US Constitution), and further, cannot be convicted for the same crime twice.
As part of the Right to Freedom, one of the most important articles is Article 21, which is the right to life.
a. However, this right also comes with legal restrictions, as the judiciary can deprive persons of this right in certain circumstances.
b. In 2002, the 86th Amendment created Article 21A, which is the right to education for children between 6-14 years.
c. The Right to Freedom also provides citizens protection against arbitrary arrest and detention (with certain exceptions, such as for reasons of national security) and therefore, the person arrested has to be presented in court/local magistrate by the police within 24 hours.
The rights included in the Right to Freedom are integral to the Constitution of India.
Rate this question :
Write importance of free and fair judiciary.Rajasthan Board - Social Science
Write a note on Right to EqualityRajasthan Board - Social Science
When were fundamental duties included in the consitution?Rajasthan Board - Social Science
Mention any four fundamental rightsRajasthan Board - Social Science
Write any four directive principlesRajasthan Board - Social Science
What did Dr. Ambedkar address for right to constitutional remedies?Rajasthan Board - Social Science
How do directive principles make a state a welfare state?Rajasthan Board - Social Science
Tell any three key features of the Indian ConstitutionRajasthan Board - Social Science
How many articles are there in the constitution?Rajasthan Board - Social Science
Which article makes provision for equal citizen code?Rajasthan Board - Social Science