Q. 94.0( 22 Votes )
Write a comparati
Usefulness of Biotechnology:
1. It made possible to increase the per hectare yield irrespective of the limitations of crop-land area.
2. It reduced the expenses on disease control by developing disease resistant varieties.
3. Due to development of fast fruit setting varieties, yield per annum has been increased.
4. Development of stress resistant varieties which can withstand variable temperature, water-stress, changing fertility of soil, etc. has become possible.
Harmfulness of Biotechnology:
1. Genetic engineering is a very vital part of biotechnology and the cost of transferring genes from one species to another is very expensive.
2. When genetic material from certain viruses is used in the production of genetically modified crops, there are chances that these virus genes will combine with crop genes to produce more destructive viruses.
3. Biotechnology also poses a number of environmental threats. Genetically modifies crops often infect monarch butteries and other insect species.
Rate this question :
Match the pairs.<MHB - Science and Technology Part-2
Rewrite the folloMHB - Science and Technology Part-2
Identify and compMHB - Science and Technology Part-2
Complete the follMHB - Science and Technology Part-2
Fill in the blankMHB - Science and Technology Part-2
Write short notesMHB - Science and Technology Part-2