Q. 133.5( 6 Votes )
Write a brief note on Adivasis.
● Adivasi refers to the ‘original inhabitant’. These are the communities who have lived in close association to the forests.
● They are indigenous people and are considered as the first inhabitants of the country.
● India has approximately 8% of people belonging to this group.
● There are over 500 different Adivasi groups in India.
● They are not a homogenous population
● Most of the industrial and mining areas are surrounded by Adivasi.
● Adivasis mostly reside in Gujarat. Maharashtra, Rajasthan, West Bengal, aAndhra Pradesh, Assam, Arunchal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, Meghalaya.
● They have their own language. Santhali is the oldest language with the largest number of speakers.
● They Adivasi language has led to the formation of many new languages as well such as Bengali.
● There is very little hierarchy in them.
● They are influenced by different religions like Buddhists, Bhakti, Vaishnav and Shakta.
● They workship ancestral, village or nature spirits.
Rate this question :
In your opinion, why is it important that Adivasis should have a say in how their forests and forest lands are used?NCERT - Social and Political Life-III
What do you think this poem is trying to convey?NCERT - Social and Political Life-III
In what ways would this affect tribal people?NCERT - Social and Political Life-III
Where do they come from? Are there Adivasi populations there?NCERT - Social and Political Life-III
What languages do they speak?NCERT - Social and Political Life-III