Q. 14.4( 16 Votes )
Why were the firs
the first elections held in 1951-52. It took four months to conduct these elections. At that time there were more than 17,30,00,000 people who could vote. Most of them were illiterate and lived in rural areas. Reasons behind it are-
• India is a caste-based society in which many people do not accept the idea that everyone is equal.
• Some people said, “The elections are ‘a leap in the dark’, not suitable for a country like India.
• Many communities practiced purdah system under which women did not appear in public.
• People vote based on other considerations like caste or religion or money or other gifts.
• Influence of higher caste on lower caste people would shift election to their side.
Rate this question :
In the 2009 ParliAP - Social Studies
Following is a stAP - Social Studies
Who is responsiblAP - Social Studies
For which of theAP - Social Studies
Why were the firsAP - Social Studies
Do you think theAP - Social Studies
<span lang="EN-GBAP - Social Studies
Name the two housAP - Social Studies
Why do you thinkAP - Social Studies