The cotton industry was concentrated in Maharashtra and Gujarat because:
1. Raw material- Black soil, ideal for cotton, is present in the region.
2. Transport- Port facilities are easily accessible through land and water transport.
3. Climate- The region’s moist climate and the temperature is ideal for cotton growth.
4. Market- Being a highly populated area, there is a big market to sell the products.
5. Labour- Cheap labour which is essential for production, is readily available.
Explanation: Cotton textiles are common in India since the ancient times. Earlier, it was concentrated in this region because of all the favourable factors especially the natural factors like climate and soil.
Rate this question :
“The textile induSocial Science - Board Papers