Q. 13.9( 118 Votes )
Why is plasma membrane called a selectively permeable membrane?
- The cell membrane is also known as the plasma membrane.
- It is the outermost covering of the cell that separates the contents inside of the cell from its outside environment.
- Plasma membrane only allows some materials, like some small molecules and water molecules, to enter the cell or leave from the cell.
- Not everything that comes in contact with the cell membrane can enter the cell because of this.
- So, the plasma membrane is known as a selectively permeable membrane. It selects or chooses what goes in and out of the cell.
Rate this question :
Why does the skin of your fingers shrink when you wash clothes for a long time?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
How are chromatin, chromatid and chromosome related to each other.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
What is the gene? Give its functions.Together with Science
Medical science took a giant step forward when it declared its capability to store stem cells. Stem cells can be used later on to treat certain diseases if need arises. Along with many Western countries. India also has the facility for storage of stem cell and for use of the same for therapy. Scientists’ are trying their best to maximize the benefit from storage of stem cells.
(i) What is the main source of stem cells?
(ii) What are the diseases that can be treated by storing stem cells?
(iii) What value is shown by the scientists?
Together with Science
Which functions are performed by cell wall in plant cells?Together with Science
Which structure of animal cell forms the asters of spindle?Together with Science
Name two factors on which shape of the cell depends.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
What is endosmosis?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Plasma membrane is permeable to water. How does a cell show endosmosis or exosmosis?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
What is exosmosis?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology