Democracy is a better form of government:
1. Promotes equality: One of democracy’s underlying principles is equality among citizens. It tries to stop discrimination on the basis of caste, religion, region or sex.
2. Enhances dignity of the individual: Democracy does not allow the dignity or the basic rights of a person to be violated.
3. Improves the quality of decision-making: Since decision-making power is not concentrated in one hand, democracy ensures an unbiased system of checks and balances.
4. Method to resolve problems: It gives importance to deliberation, negotiation and people’s rights. So it prevents conflicts from becoming violent.
5. Allows room to correct mistakes: Democracy usually has an elaborate system of checks so one institution cannot accumulate power. Therefore it can correct mistakes in itself.
Explanation: Democracy largely derives its power from the citizen itself. Unlike other forms of government, it prioritizes the welfare of citizens through the citizens themselves.
Rate this question :