Q. 84.0( 4 Votes )
Why did West Asia become a center of tensions in the world?
The region between Asia and Europe is described as West Asia or the Middle East. The conflict between Arabs and Jews is mainly on the occupation of Palestine region.
1. The Arabs inhabited the Palestine region which was under the control of Britain after the Second World War.
2. Jerusalem the holy city for Jews, Christians, and Muslims is situated here. Jews considered Palestine as their promised city from which they were exiled in the past.
3. When the conflict came to a head in Germany under the Nazis, the Jews were killed and jailed.
4. In 1947, the United Nations passed a resolution according to which Palestine was divided into two parts - Arab and Jewish States. But Arabs did not accept Israel as a legitimate state and refused to leave their homeland.
5. When the policies of Israel increased bitterness, the Arabs were forced to leave their properties and homeland.
6. Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser tried to unite Arabs and hence adopted aggressive policies. Israel attacked Egypt in 1956 with the support of western powers. Both USA and USSR wanted a ceasefire due to which Israel had to withdraw its army.
The region has been constantly in a state of war and terrorist attacks as a result of retaliation and counter-retaliation. Hence it became a center of tensions in the world.
Rate this question :
Draw a table to show the relations between India and its neighboring countries with regard to the following issues of conflict; events of war; events of help and co-operation.AP Board - Social Studies
“Formation of NAM was not merely in the context of military alliances but also in the context of economic policies.” Justify the statement.AP Board - Social Studies
Given the idea of democracy, do you think a few countries should have special powers in making the decisions?AP Board - Social Studies
By the end of the 20th century, there is only one single power that dominates the world. In this context, what do you think would be the role of NAM?AP Board - Social Studies
Choose the correct answer:
Which among the following statement about the Cold War is wrong?AP Board - Social Studies
What are the different roles played by the United Nations in order to build peace in the world?AP Board - Social Studies
How did the Cold War produce arms race as well as arms control?AP Board - Social Studies
Who amongst the following is not involved in the West Asian crisis?AP Board - Social Studies
What was the nature of the shift in power in the world after the Second World War?AP Board - Social Studies
How were the superpowers benefited by military alliances?AP Board - Social Studies