Which of the following oxides behaves as conductor or insulator depending upon temperature?
• TiO3 behaves as conductor or insulator mainly because of the energy gap variability between valence band and conduction band. This gap changes in accordance with temperature; as the temperature increases so decreases the gap and it leads to more conductive nature which is opposite in case of lowering of temperatures.
• Options (i) TiO (ii) SiO2 and (iv) MgO are incorrect .
• TiO which behaves like a metal also can conduct electricity because the d-electrons are partially filled and leads to electrical conductivity.
• (ii) SiO2 (quartz) is a network -solid which is covalent in nature and always behave as an insulator.
• And (iv) MgO is an ionic crystalline solid which means it acts as an insulator in the solid-state and conducts electricity in the molten or aqueous state.
Rate this question :
Note : In the following questions a statement of assertion followed by a statement of reason is given. Choose the correct answer out of the following choices.Chemistry - Exemplar
Why does electrical conductivity of semiconductors increase with the rise in temperature?Chemistry - Exemplar
To get a n-type semiconductor from silicon, it should be doped with a substance with valence__________.Chemistry - Exemplar
Which of the following statements are true about metals?Chemistry - Exemplar
Match the items given in Column I with the items given in Column II.