Which of the following is a network solid?
A. SO2 (Solid)
D. H2O (Ice)
• Diamond is a crystalline solid of non-metal Carbon and it has covalent bonding throughout the crystal. Between two adjacent atoms of the crystal there is a strong and directional interaction which results in a covalent bond which helps the atoms to held strongly at their positions. Therefore resulting in a very high melting point which indicates that diamond is a network solid.
The network structure of diamond
• The other 3 options (i) SO2 (Solid) (ii) I2 and (iv) H2O (Ice) are examples of molecular crystalline solids
• in which SO2 (Solid) is a type of polar molecular solid (strong dipole-dipole interaction b/w S and O results in stronger polar covalent bonds).
• I2 can be classified as non-polar molecular solid (formed by weakest dispersion force, London force due to temporary induced dipole-dipole interaction.
• And at last H2O (Ice) is hydrogen-bonded molecular solid (polar covalent strong interaction b/w H and O reinforces the formation of hydrogen bond.
Rate this question :
Due to hectic and busy schedule, Mr. Angad made his life full of tensions and anxiety. He started taking sleeping pills to overcome the depression without consulting the doctor. Mr. Deepak, a close friend of Mr. Angad, advised him to stop taking sleeping pills and suggested to change his lifestyle by doing Yoga, meditation and some physical exercise. Mr. Angad followed his friend’s advice and after few days he started feeling better.
After reading the above passage, answer the following:
(i) What are the values (at least two) displayed by Mr. Deepak?
(ii) Why is it not advisable to take sleeping pills without consulting doctor?
(iii) What are tranquilizers? Give two examples.Chemistry - Board Papers
Graphite cannot be classified as __________.Chemistry - Exemplar
Which of the following cannot be regarded as molecular solid?Chemistry - Exemplar
Which of the following is a network solid?Chemistry - Exemplar
A compound forms hexagonal close-packed structure. What is the total number of voids in 0.5 mol of it? How many of these are tetrahedral voids?NCERT - Chemistry Part-I
What is the two dimensional coordination number of a molecule in square close-packed layer?NCERT - Chemistry Part-I
A compound is formed by two elements M and N. The element N forms ccp and atoms of M occupy 1/3rd of tetrahedral voids. What is the formula of the compound?NCERT - Chemistry Part-I
Classify each of the following solids as ionic, metallic, molecular, network (covalent) or amorphous.
(i) Tetra phosphorus decoxide (P4O10) (vii) Graphite
(ii) Ammonium phosphate (NH4)3PO4 (viii) Brass
(iii) SiC (ix) Rb
(iv) I2 (x) LiBr
(v) P4 (xi) Si
(vi) PlasticNCERT - Chemistry Part-I
What is meant by the term 'coordination number'?NCERT - Chemistry Part-I