From the sentences below some are compatible with the idea of secularism and some are not due to the following reason:
A. Absence of domination of one religious group by another – Compatible
- The absence of domination allows freedom to all religious groups existing in the state. Majority people of one religion will not be dominating the minority religion people and maintain peace between them. Both will have their own space and atmosphere to preach and worship.
B. Recognition of a state religion – Not Compatible
- Recognition of a state religion happens only in a non-secular country. For example, Pakistan has Islam as their state religion.
C. Equal state support to all religions – Compatible
- It provides every religion an opportunity and freedom to preserve its traditions and flourish in its own space without interfering in their matter.
D. Mandatory prayers in schools – Not Compatible
-Activities or worshiping due to compulsion is not accepted in the idea of secularism. Its people’s own wish to pray worship and thus should not be made mandatory.
E. Allowing separate educational institutions for any minority community – Compatible
- It will provide right to the minority to maintain its cultural identity and a chance to develop and provide protection and security to the people of minority religious group.
F. Appointment of temple management bodies by the government – Not Compatible
- Any appointment by the government will mark its involvement and interference this it would make it a direct involvement of state in religious affairs and proceedings.
G. Intervention of state to ensure entry of Dalits in temples – Compatible
- It prevents discrimination and provides equal rights to every social group. Secularism opposes religious and social domination and promotes equality and freedom for all.
Rate this question :