Q. 24.0( 10 Votes )
Where in India do tropical evergreen and tropical deciduous forests occur? Name the states.
Tropical evergreen forests:
• Trees of evergreen forests remain green throughout the year.
• Tropical evergreen forests have short structured trees followed by a tall variety of trees.
• These forests receive rainfall over 200 cm.
• They are found in the western slope of the Western Ghats, hills of Northeastern states and Andaman and the Nicobar Islands.
• Species of trees which are found in evergreen forests include rosewood, mahogany, ebony etc.
Tropical deciduous forests:
• These forests are most widely spread forests in India and known as monsoon forests.
• There are two types of deciduous forests - moist deciduous and dry deciduous forests.
• Moist deciduous forests receive rainfall between 100 and 200 cm. They are found in foothills the northeastern Himalayas, eastern slopes of Western Ghats and Odisha. Species of moist deciduous forests include Teak, Sal, Shisham, amla and sandalwood.
• Dry deciduous forests receive rainfall between 70 and 100 cm. They are found in rainy areas of the peninsular plateau, plains of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Species of these forests include tendu, palas, amaltas, bel, khair, axlewood.
Rate this question :