Q. 15.0( 1 Vote )
What were the law
ARMS ACT OF 1878:
1. This Act was enacted during the Viceroyalty of Lord Lytton.
2. As per this Act, no Indians could manufacture, sell, possess, and carry firearms whereas no such restriction was placed on the Europeans.
3. The Act was enacted in response to the mutiny of 1858 where the Indians revolted against the East India Company. The British wanted to restrict the natives from owning any weapons which may lead to such a revolt.
VERNACULAR PRESS ACT OF 1878:
1. This Act was proposed by Lord Lytton in response to increasing criticism by vernacular media.
2. The Act gave power to the Magistrate to ask the publisher to enter into a Bond, undertaking not to publish anything which might “rouse” feelings of disaffection against the government.
3. In case of violation of the Bond, the press would be seized.
4. The printer was also required to deposit security which would be seized in case of repeated violation.
ILBERT BILL OF 1883:
1. It was introduced in 1883 under the Viceroyalty of Lord Ripon who tried to introduce fair trials for Indians.
2. The bill provided for the trial of British or European persons by Indians, and sought equality between British and Indian judges in the country.
3. It was met with intense opposition from the whites in India and hence had to be withdrawn.
Rate this question :