The great depression occurred during the 1930s in the USA and affected the entire world’s economy.
Depression is a phase when the economy’s growth slows down, and a nation is hit by unemployment. It occurred when the stock prices in the US began to fall.
1. The prices of agricultural products fell and collapsed, exports declined. The peasants found it difficult to sell their harvest, and their indebtedness increased.
2. The rich farmer community like patidars of Gujarat and Jats who actively participated in freedom movement were hit hard by the depression and falling prices.
Advertisements played an important role during the colonial era.
1. It created and expanded a consumer culture.
2. It shaped the minds of people and created new needs.
3. It made products more desirable and portrayed them as important for survival.
With the advent of print media and newspaper, people were provided with leisure activities. The merchants used the newspaper in knowing the trend of the market. Reading became a trending activity; people preferred studying fictional, narrative stories, poems, and novels. Even women who were educated got themselves indulged into reading.
The printing products were in great demand and created new consumers for the British market.
Rate this question :