What was the Sovi
The 1917 revolution in Russia was inspired by the ideals of socialism and the need for an egalitarian society. It was opposed to the ideology of capitalism and finally gave rise to the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics or USSR. The Soviet system was a conscious attempt to design a society based on the principles of equality with the abolishment of the institution of private property. Its primary features were –
• It was a bureaucratic and authoritarian system which made life difficult for the ordinary citizens.
• It lacked democracy and people suffered due to absence of freedom of speech.
• It was a one-part system where no opposition was allowed.
• All institutions were state controlled along with the economy. It aimed to ensure a minimum standard of living for its citizens through subsidies and other policies.
• Although the Soviet system had 15 different republics, Russia was the dominant nation and others were often suppressed.
Rate this question :