Q. 85.0( 2 Votes )
What was the role
: Poland was ruled by United Worker’s Party ( Communist party of the East that ruled most part of eastern Europe)
• At that time no political parties were allowed to function, people could not choose their political party.
• On 14th August 1980, the workers of Lenin Shipyard went on strike; the shipyard was owned by the government.
• The strike spread across the city; they demanded right to form independent trade unions, the release of political prisoners, and end censorship on the press.
• The government had to give in, 21 point agreement was signed, and a new union called solidarity was formed.
• Solidarity became very popular and in April 1989 free election was conducted, and solidarity won.
• In October 1990, Poland had its first presidential election.
Rate this question :