Q. 94.1( 12 Votes )
What was Shock Therapy? Was this the best way to make a transition from communism to capitalism?
Shock therapy was a process of transition from an authoritative socialist system to a democratic capitalist system after the collapse of communism. The model of transition in Russia, central Asia and East Europe came to be known as shock therapy.
However, shock therapy wasn’t the best way to transition from communism to capitalism because:
• It was a sudden and immediate change that uprooted the entire existing system and wrecked havoc over the economy of the state.
• In Russia the huge industries controlled by the state almost collapsed and 90 percent of them were put up for sale to private individuals and companies. This was called as ‘the largest garage sale’ in history as the industries were undervalued and sold away at throw away prices.
• The value of Ruble, the Russian currency went down dramatically. Inflation grew uncontrollably leaving the Russian economy in a battered state.
• The collective farming system disintegrated leaving people without food and security.
• The already miserable state of economy was further worsened by privatisation which widened the gap between poor and rich even more.
• The old system of social welfare was destroyed with the defeat of socialism and the withdrawal of government subsidies pushed a lot of people into poverty.
Rate this question :
How useful is this solution?
We strive to provide quality solutions. Please rate us to serve you better.
PREVIOUSWhat were the major consequences of the disintegration of the Soviet Union for countries like India?NEXTWrite an essay for or against the following proposition: “With the disintegration of the second world, India should change its foreign policy and focus more on friendship with the US rather than with traditional friends like Russia”.
RELATED QUESTIONS :
Which among the following statements that describe the nature of Soviet economy is wrong?
a. Socialism was the dominant ideology
b. State ownership/control existed over the factors of production
c. People enjoyed economic freedom
d. Every aspect of the economy was planned and controlled by the StateNCERT - Contemporary World Politics
Fill in the blanks.
A. The Soviet political system was based on ____________ ideology.
B. __________ was the military alliance started by the USSR.
C. _____________ party dominated the Soviet Union’s political system.
D. ____________ initiated the reforms in the USSR in 1985.
E. The fall of the _____________ symbolised the end of the Cold War.NCERT - Contemporary World Politics
Match the following:
Arrange the following in chronological order:
a. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
b. Fall of the Berlin Wall
c. Disintegration of the Soviet Union
d. Russian RevolutionNCERT - Contemporary World Politics
Mention the six principal organs of the United Nations and describe the functions of any two of them.Political Science - Board Papers