Q. 23.5( 2 Votes )
What was Germania?
What was the main aim to establish Tonkin Free School in Vietnam by French?
Germania was the allegory of the German nation. Allegory refers to the use of an image or symbol to represent an abstract idea. Artist Philip Veit created the image of Germania which became the symbol of Germany. Germania was a female figure. She was seen standing against a beam of sunlight which shone through the tricolour flag. She wore a crown of oak leaves.
Tonkin Free school was started by the French in Vietnam.
1. The French started French schools in Vietnam to counter the Chinese influence.
2. Schools were started with a decision to teach Vietnamese in lower classes and French in the higher classes.
3. Tonkin Free school was started in the year 1907.
4. Subjects like French, science and hygiene were taught in that school, and it followed the western style of education.
5. It was the culture of Vietnamese to keep long hair. Since the school followed western culture, it encouraged having a short haircut.
6. Vietnamese opposed it.
7. The Vietnamese teachers modified the text and started to criticize the statements against Vietnamese.
8. Many political parties like the Party of Young Annan were started, and journals were published.
Thus, schools paved the way for the political and cultural battles thus forming a larger part for battles against colonial education.
Rate this question :
“U.S. entry into the war in Vietnam marked a new phase that proved costly to Vietnamese as well as to the Americans.” Analyse the statement.Social Science - Board Papers
“The division of Vietnam set in motion a series of events that turned the country into a battlefield.” Support the statement.Social Science - Board Papers
Explain the contribution of Ho Chi Minh in the freedom movement of Vietnam.Social Science - Board Papers
Explain the reactions within the United States to its involvement in the Vietnam War during the 1960s.Social Science - Board Papers
“The decade of 1830 had brought great economic hardship in Europe.” Support the statement with arguments.
“The Ho Chi Minh Trail became advantageous to Vietnamese in the war against U.S.” Support the statement with arguments.
What was the result of the peace negotiation in Geneva that followed the French defeat in Vietnam?Social Science - Board Papers
“Ideas of national unity in early nineteenth century Europe were closely allied to the ideology of Liberalism.” Analyse the statement.
“US entry into the Vietnam war from 1965 to 1972 marked a new phase that proved costly to the Vietnamese as well as the Americans.” Analyse the statement.Social Science - Board Papers
To which country did the artist Frederic Sorrieu belong?
To which country did Ngo Dinh Diem belong?Social Science - Board Papers