Q. 44.3( 6 Votes )
What is the advantage enjoyed by the Sinhala community in Sri Lanka?
● Sri Lanka has a diverse population. The proportion of Tamil in Sri Lanka’s total population is 18 per cent. The proportion of people speaking Sinhala is 74 per cent.
● In 1948, the leaders of the Sinhala community had established certain rules and regulation to establish dominance over Sri Lanka.
● An act was passed in 1956, that recognized Sinhala as the official language. This completely disregarded the Tamil language.
● According to the new constitution, Buddhism was to be promoted.
● Sinhala community was given preference in colleges, universities and employment sectors.
Thus, the Sinhala community enjoyed many advantages in Sri Lanka.
Rate this question :
What does the term majoritarianism signify?Together With Social Science
What is the advantage enjoyed by the Sinhala community in Sri Lanka?Together With Social Science
What made the Sri Lankan Tamils feel alienated?Together With Social Science
What do you know about the background of the Sri Lankan Tamils?Full Marks - Social Science