1. Polio also known as Poliomyelitis is an infectious disease caused by polio virus which leads to muscle weakness and further inability to move.
2. Pulse Polio Programme is the Government of India initiative to abolish Polio from India since 1995.
3. In this programme all children below the age of five are immunised orally against the polio virus.
4. It included 100% coverage within all the states and Union territories.
5. The programme aimed to eradicate polio from India.
1. OPV is Oral Polio Vaccine. This vaccine is used to eradicate polio.
2. In OPV a weakened polio virus is given orally through mouth.
3. OPV consists of a mixture of live attenuated polio virus strains which are injected inside the body to initiate an immune response.
4. The body remembers this response when an actual polio virus enters the body and protects it.
5. One dose of OPV produce long lasting immunity towards all three types of strains of the polio virus.
India is yet to eradicate Polio because even after so many initiatives by the government of India some cases are being reported. This could be because of lack of education, lack of information and inaccessibility in certain areas.
Rate this question :