Q. 184.5( 20 Votes )
What is nylon? State the important properties of nylon.
Nylon is the first fully synthetic fibre. It was made in 1931, without the use of any natural raw material from plants or animals. It was prepared from coal, water and air. Following are the properties of nylon:
● Nylon has the ability to show variation of luster. It has the ability to be very lustrous, semi lustrous or dull.
● It is highly durable and is used for making seatbelts and tire cords.
● Nylon fibre is very strong, elastic and light. It is lustrous and easy to wash. Hence, it became very popular for making clothes.
● A nylon thread is actually very strong than steel wire. It is also used for making parachutes and ropes for rock climbing.
● It is also used for making articles such as socks, ropes, tents, toothbrushes, car seat belts, sleeping bags and curtains.
Rate this question :
Which of the following plastics do not have cross-links between their polymer chains
(D) BakeliteLakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
What are the uses of nylon and rayon?All in One - Science
Complete the crossword given below with the help of clues.
1. Substance used as synthetic wool (7)
2. A plastic used for making containers and carry bags (9)
3. Substance made up of large number of smaller molecules (7)
4. Another name for this compound is artificial silk (5)
5. A type of fibre obtained naturally from cocoon (4)
6. A synthetic fibre classified as polyester (8)
7. A polymer used for making rope (5)
NCERT - Science Exemplar
What is nylon? State the important properties of nylon.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Give the important uses of nylon.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name the fibre used for making parachutes and rock climbing ropes.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name the first fully synthetic fibre.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Which fibre is commonly used for making ropes?All in One - Science