Q. 14.4( 5 Votes )
What is multiple
Multiple cropping is a practice or type of cropping in which more than one crop is grown in the same piece of land in a particular season of farming.
1. It helps in maintaining the fertility of the soil.
2. It also increases the yield which is defined as production per unit area. There are many examples of multiple cropping.
3. Presence of one type of crop can help some other one in many ways like some farmers grow onions, tomatoes and marigold together as the cultivation of marigold repels pests of tomato and helps in pest free growth of tomatoes.
4. One another example is the cultivation of wheat, gram, and mustard together. The gram helps in recovering nitrogen level of soil and fixes atmospheric nitrogen.
5. Farmer will not have to bear the complete loss in case one crop out of them does not grow better or gets destroyed due to any reason.
In this way, multiple cropping can be very beneficial to farmers and helps in preserving the nutritional level of the soil.
Rate this question :