Answer :

Marginal propensity to consume – It is the proportion of additional income going to consumption expenditure. It is the ratio between change in consumption and change in income.


Marginal propensity to save – It is the proportion of additional income that goes to saving. It is the ratio between change in savings and change in income


Propensity to consume means desire to consume so marginal propensity to consume is the ratio of increase in consumption due to increase in income. In the same way propensity to save means desire to save, so marginal propensity to save means the ratio of increase in saving due to increase in income.


Relation between Marginal Propensity to Consume (MPC) and Marginal Propensity to Save (MPS)


MPC = ∆C/∆Y


MPS = ∆S/∆Y


Where


∆C = Change in Consumption


∆Y = Change in Income


∆S = Change in Saving


MPC + MPS = 1


Y = C + S


∆Y = ∆C + ∆S


Dividing both sides by ∆Y


∆Y/∆Y = ∆C/∆Y + ∆S/∆Y


1 = MPC + MPS


Ø MPC = 1 – MPS, OR


Ø MPS = 1 – MPC


Example - Suppose the income increases from 200 crores to 250 crores and consumtion increses from 20 crores to 40 crores.


∆Y = 50 crores


∆C = 20 crores


MPC = 20/50 = 40%


MPS = 1 – 40% = 60%


This means that if 40% of change in income is going into consumption then the remaining 60% will go to saving.


Rate this question :

How useful is this solution?
We strive to provide quality solutions. Please rate us to serve you better.
Try our Mini CourseMaster Important Topics in 7 DaysLearn from IITians, NITians, Doctors & Academic Experts
Dedicated counsellor for each student
24X7 Doubt Resolution
Daily Report Card
Detailed Performance Evaluation
caricature
view all courses
RELATED QUESTIONS :

GEconomics - Board Papers

IEconomics - Board Papers

If nominal incomeEconomics - Board Papers

An economy is in Economics - Board Papers

Sale of petEconomics - Board Papers

FEconomics - Board Papers

An economy Economics - Board Papers