Q. 27 B3.7( 13 Votes )
What is air pollution? What are the main sources of air pollution?
Polluted air is contaminated with the substances like smoke, dust and other harmful substances called pollutants. These pollutants can come from natural sources or from human activities. Following are the main sources of air pollution:
● The natural sources of air pollution are smoke and dust arising from forest fires or volcanic eruptions.
● The pollutants can also be added from the human activities. These are from automobile exhausts, power plants, factories and burning of firewood and dung cakes.
● The pollutants like Sulphur dioxide and Nitrogen dioxide when present in polluted air causes acid rain.
● The gas called carbon monoxide enters the air by the incomplete burning of fuels such as petrol and diesel. It is a very poisonous gas which reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of blood.
● The Chlorofluorocarbons which are used in the refrigerators, air conditioners and aerosol sprays also act as air pollutants. They are responsible to deplete the ozone layer in the atmosphere.
Rate this question :
Which gas in the upper atmosphere prevents ultraviolet radiations of the sun from reaching the earth?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name the various air pollutants discharged by motor vehicle exhausts.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name two gases present in polluted air which can cause acid rain.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Which air pollutant combines with the haemoglobin of our blood?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
What depletes the ozone layer in the atmosphere? What are the harmful effects of the depletion of ozone layer on us?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
What is acid rain? How is acid rain caused? What are the harmful effects of acid rain?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
One of the following does not contribute in producing acid rain. This one is:Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
The constituent of polluted air which contributes in producing acid rain is:Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Which of the following air pollutant is capable of preventing photosynthesis in plants?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Which of the following is not an air pollutant?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science