What developments took place after the recommendations of the Mandal Commission?
● The Government of India had appointed the Second Backward Classes Commission in 1979 under the leadership of B.P. Mandal. It was also called the Mandal Commission.
● It had to identify the socially and educationally backward classes in India and recommend necessary actions for their progress.
● The Commission gave its Report in 1980.
● It recommended reservation of 27% government jobs for the socially and economically backward classes.
The developments that took place after the recommendations of the Mandal Commission are:
● For many years, the parties discussed the implementation of these recommendations.
● In the Lok Sabha election of 1989, Janata Dal promised to implement this decision if elected.
● It won the elections. and V.P. Singh became the Prime Minister.
● Soon after, the President of the country announced that its intention to implement this recommendation.
● On 6 August 1990, the Union Cabinet took a formal decision for the same.
● Next day, the Prime Minister announced this decision in a formal meeting of both the Houses of parliament.
● The senior officers of the Department drafted an order with the Cabinet decision and took the minister’s approval.
● An officer signed the order on behalf of the Union Government and O.M. No. 36012/ 31/90 was born on August 13, 1990
Rate this question :
If you are elected as the President of India which of the following decision can you take on your own?
(a) Select the person you like as Prime Minister.
(b) Dismiss a Prime Minister who has a majority in Lok Sabha.
(c) Ask for reconsideration of a bill passed by both the Houses.
(d) Nominate the leaders of your choice to the Council of Ministers.NCERT Political Science - Democratic Politics I