Q. 53.8( 122 Votes )
What could be the reasons for the confidence of the British rulers about their position in India before May 1857?
After the 100 years of conquest and administration British were reluctant to any rebellion in India as they were able to localize them then and there. They never thought that the issue of new cartridges would cause them that much problem in India.
The reasons for the confidence of the British rulers about their position in India before May 1857 were:
1) There were several riots, rebellion, and revolts which occurred before May 1857 but all these were suppressed by the British then and there.
2) The Indian nawabs had gradually lost their power, authority and honour.
3) The British Governor Generals posted their residents in several courts, the freedom of the rulers reduced, their armed forces disbanded and their revenue and territories taken away stage by stage.
4) The Company was confident of its military powers.
5) In 1856, Governor General Canning decided that Bahadur Shah Zafar would be the last Mughal king and after his death none of his descendant would be recognized as king. They would just be called prince.
Rate this question :
What could be the reasons for the confidence of the British rulers about their position in India before May 1857?NCERT - History Part-I
What objections did the sepoys have to the new cartridges that they were asked to use?NCERT - History Part-I
In what ways did the British change their policies as a result of the rebellion of 1857?NCERT - History Part-I
How did the British succeed in securing the submission of the rebel landowners of Awadh?NCERT - History Part-I