Addition of certain substances to the water such as organics, inorganic, biological, radiological etc. that degrades the quality of water and makes it unfit for use is called water pollution.
Measures were taken to control water pollution involve:
● Treatment of sewage water and the industrial effluents should be done before releasing into the water bodies.
● Domestic cleaning in tanks, streams, and rivers, which supply drinking water, should be prohibited.
● Excessive use of fertilizers and pesticides should be avoided.
● Water hyacinth (an aquatic weed) can purify water by taking some toxic materials and a number of heavy metals from water.
● Oil spills in water can be cleaned with help of bregoli.
● Many other governmental programmes like sewage management and water restoration can also help to control water pollution.
Rate this question :
Collect informatiKarnataka Board - Geography