What are the different impacts of wars during the first half of 20th century?
The world wars had a long-lasting impact on the political, economic, social fields of the world. Some of these major impacts are listed below :
1. The first consequence was the widespread deaths and injuries. First World War had killed 10 million people and the Second World War had killed 20-25 million people.
2. The 2 wars had created a regime of lethal arms, especially in nuclear and chemical weapons.
3. The strengthened the case for the democratization of power.
4. It led to the end of many powers such as the Ottoman Empire, the German Empire, and the Russian Empire.
5. Many countries had shifted from monarchy to democracy system.
6. Many new countries were born across Asia and Africa.
7. The map of eastern and central Europe was redrawn on the basis of
nationality, economic viability, and military security. Post World War II, ex-colonies rose to become independent nations.
8. UNO was formed for peaceful settlement of disputes. UNO is the United Nations Organisation. It works on 4 major principles - preserve
peace, uphold human rights, respect international law and promote social progress. It works through UNICEF, UNESCO, WHO, ILO, etc.
9. This phase saw a major change in the women of the world. With men fighting in the battlefields, it was the duty of the women of the households to become the bread earners of the family. They began working in factories, shops, offices, hospitals and also volunteering for different services. They also got the right to vote in 1918. This was a major step in the empowerment of women.
These were the major impacts of the two wars on the world. Some of these impacts from World War I also paved way for the World War II. Other impacts were positive, such as setting up of UNO, which are a great asset for the current world.
Rate this question :
How did the idea of nation states and nationalism influence desire for war during World Wars?AP Board - Social Studies
Write a short note on various causes of two World Wars. Do you think any of these features are prevalent even today in countries around the world? How?AP Board - Social Studies
Correct the false statements
(i) At the beginning of 20th century disparity across the world was marked by west and the rest
(ii) 20th century saw the rise of democracy and instances of dictatorship as well as making of new kingdoms
(iii) Socialist societies wanted to build on the idea of equality and fraternity
(iv) Army members of countries fighting belonged to many different countries and not just those which directly participated in the war.
(v) After or during the First World War many countries changed over from monarchy rule to democraciesAP Board - Social Studies
Make a table to show allies, axis and central powers, participated with following countries on different sides of the world wars: Austria, USSR (Russia), Germany,
Britain, Japan, France, Italy, USA.AP Board - Social Studies
What are the different impacts of wars during the first half of 20th century?AP Board - Social Studies