Plant, bacteria, fungi and animals whose genes have been altered by manipulation are called Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO).
GM plants have been useful in many ways. Genetic modification has –
• Made crops more tolerant to abiotic stresses like cold, drought, salt, heat, etc.
• Reduced reliance on chemical pesticides (pest-resistant crops)
• Helped to reduce post harvest losses.
• Increased efficiency of mineral usage by plants
• Enhanced nutritional value of food. For example – Vitamin A enriched rice.
Rate this question :
How has the use oBiology - Board Papers