Q. 205.0( 1 Vote )
The U.S involvement in Vietnam War had a harsh impact on both U.S as well as Vietnam.
1. From 1965 to 1972, lakhs of U.S services personnel served in Vietnam. Even though the U.S was equipped with advanced technology and good medical supplies, casualties stood high.
2. In spite of the heavy weapons and tanks and the presence of the most powerful bombers – B52s, this phase proved to be brutal. The widespread attack and use of chemical weapons – Napalm, Agent Orange, and phosphorous bombs – destroyed many villages and decimated jungles.
3. Thousands of people died in the battle and lakhs and lakhs of people were left wounded. In addition, innocent civilians died in large no.’s.
4. In the U.S., many were critical of the government for getting involved in the war. The inclusion of the youth from minorities and working middle classes and waiver of this military service for university graduates further spread a feeling of intense anger amongst the Americans.
5. The U.S media also played an important role during this time. Hollywood made films in support of the war included John Wayne’s Green Berets. Many claimed it to be a propaganda film, responsible for motivating the young to die in the war. Films that were critical of the war included Coppola’s Apocalypse Now, which reflected the moral confusion that the war had caused in the U.S.
Rate this question :