1. To solve the dispute DNA fingerprinting should be used.
2. In DNA fingerprinting a pattern of bands is formed due to small stretch of DNA sequence which is repeated numerous times called as Variable Number of Tandem Repeats (VNTR’S) , also known as Mini Satellites. These VNTR’s are specific for each individual.
Procedure of DNA Fingerprinting:
1. For DNA fingerprinting, blood sample of the respective person is taken. Now the DNA is extracted from the blood sample.
2. This DNA is cut into smaller fragments by an enzyme called restriction endonuclease enzyme.
3. These DNA fragments are then separated by the process of Gel Electrophoresis. In which electric field is applied to separate the DNA fragments based on size. The shorter ones move faster, then medium and longer ones are separated.
4. The DNA band pattern now formed by Gel electrophoresis is transferred to the Nylon Sheath, this process is also called Southern Bloating.
5. The band is now mixed with radio isotopic solution and is exposed to X-ray radiation.
6.After exposure to X-ray radiation coloured band patterns or VNTR’S are seen which are specific for everyone.
By the method of DNA fingerprinting the paternity dispute can be solved as the VNTR for the father would be specific for an individual.
The principle involved behind DNA fingerprinting is the Variable Number of Tandem Repeats (VNTR’S) , also known as Mini Satellites. These are a pattern of band formed due to small stretch of DNA sequence which is repeated numerous times. These VNTR’s are specific for each individual.
Rate this question :