Q. 123.9( 8 Votes )
‘The social composition along with the inability to buy food also plays a role in food insecurity’ Explain how.
Food insecurity is one of the major problems in India. Along with the inability to buy food, the social composition also plays a role in food insecurity.
● The backward castes are very prone to food insecurity due to land-base or very low land productivity.
● Another group of people who are affected by it are the ones who migrate to other places due to natural calamities.
● Even though a large section of people suffer from food and nutrition insecurity, among them the worst affected groups are the people who own very little or no land to depend upon, people providing traditional services, traditional artisans, petty self-employed workers and destitutes including beggars.
● While in urban areas, the families who suffer from food insecurities are the ones whose working members are generally employed in ill-paid occupations and casual labour market.
● These workers are mostly engaged in seasonal activities and wages paid to them are very low just to ensure bare minimum survival.
In some parts of the country, food insecured people are disproportionately large which includes some backward states with high poverty, tribal areas, regions prone to natural disaster and so on.
Rate this question :
(a) What do you see in picture 4.1?
(b) Which age group is seen in the first picture?
(c) Can you say that the family shown in the picture 4.2 is a poor family? Why?
(d) Can you imagine the source of livelihood of the people, (shown in two pictures) before the occurrence of famine? (In the context of a village)
(e) Find out what type of help is given to the victims of natural calamity at a relief camp.
(f) Have you ever helped such victims (in the form of money, food, clothes, medicines etc.)?NCERT - Economics
Which states are more food insecure in India?NCERT - Economics
A section of people in India is still without food. Explain.NCERT - Economics
Which are the people more prone to food insecurity?NCERT - Economics
Differentiate between seasonal hunger and chronic hunger.NCERT - Economics