The Preamble as is the preface of the Constitution, depicts the philosophy and values of the constitution.
1. The Constitution focuses on the elimination of inequality and bringing in socioeconomic equality.
2. The Preamble declares that it is the people of India who had enacted, adopted and given the Constitution to themselves. Thus, sovereignty lies ultimately with the people.
3. It also declares the ideals and aspirations of the people that need to be achieved.
The ideals of the Constitution are:
1. Sovereign: emphasizes that there is no authority outside India on which the country is in any way dependent
2. Secular: This word was added by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment. It means that India is non-religious or irreligious, nor anti-religious.
3. Socialist: This word was added by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment. It means that the achievement of a socialistic pattern of society through democratic means.
4. Democratic: It means that the rulers elected by the people only have the authority to run the government.
5. Republic: means, the head of the state is an elected representative (directly or indirectly) and not the hereditary monarch.
Rate this question :