This kind of breeding is called Biofortification.
• Biofortification is a technique of breeding crops with higher levels of nutrients example vitamin, minerals, proteins, fats etc.
Main objectives of the breeding programmes:
• Improve protein content and quality.
• Improve oil content and quality
• Improve vitamin content
• Improve micronutrient and mineral content.
• It is a major technique to improve the food quality.
• Consumption of food with higher healthy nutrient level is a means to improve public health.
• Many varieties of food such as maize hybrid with higher amino acid level, Atlas 66, a wheat variety having high protein content were produced.
Rate this question :