Q. 165.0( 2 Votes )
The first challen
All over the world there is a tendency in political parties towards the concentration of power in one or few leaders at the top which shows a lack of internal democracy within parties. Some of the undemocratic practices followed by the parties are as follows -
• Parties do not keep membership registers, do not hold organizational meetings, and do not conduct internal elections regularly.
• Ordinary members of the party do not get sufficient information on what happens inside the party.
• They do not have the means, or the connections needed to influence the decisions. As a result, the leaders assume a greater power to make decisions in the name of the party.
• Since one or few leaders exercise paramount power in the party, those who disagree with the leadership find it difficult to continue in the party.
• More than loyalty to party principles and policies, personal loyalty to the leader becomes more important.
Thus, to strengthen the democracy of the countries, it is very necessary for the political parties to make their internal functioning democratic and transparent which can be done by reforming and overcome the above-stated challenges.
Rate this question :