Q. 125.0( 2 Votes )
“The ethnic conflicts affected India’s relations with Sri Lanka.” Justify.
Both the countries, India and Sri Lanka, became independent almost at the same time and remained democratic till date. Since time immemorial, both countries have cultural, economic and ethnic ties. The ethnic conflict between majority Sinhala and Tamil speaking minority went as follows:
1) The conflict aroused when the Tamil speaking minorities were treated unequally by the Sri Lankan government. The neglect of Tamil concerns led to militant Tamil nationalism.
2) The Sri Lankan problem involved people of Tamil origin hence the government of India felt pressure from the Tamil people in India to protect the interests of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
3) In 1987, the government of India got directly involved in the Sri Lankan Tamil question. India signed an accord with Sri Lanka and sent troops to normalize the situation.
4) The presence of Indian troops was not liked by the Sri Lankans. They saw it as an attempt to interfere in the internal affairs of Sri Lanka.
5) Eventually, India decided not to interfere when the Sri Lankan government ceased all wars due to mass killings and bloodshed.
Hence the relations between India and Sri Lanka were affected due to the ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka and India’s interference in their civil matter which was not liked by Sri Lankans.
Rate this question :
Observe the graph-2 of page 288 and answer the following.
i) Which country’s Military expenditure is higher?
ii) What do you observe in the military expenditures of the two countries as a percent ofTelangana Board - Social Science
Locate the following on the map of the world.
v) Latin America
vi) AfghanistanTelangana Board - Social Science
What was the nature of the shift in power in the world after the Second World War?Telangana Board - Social Science
By the end of the 20th century, there is only one single power that dominates the world. In this context, what do you think would be the role of NAM?Telangana Board - Social Science
Given the idea of democracy, do you think a few countries should have special powers in making the decisions?Telangana Board - Social Science
“Formation of NAM was not merely in the context of military alliances but also in the context of economic policies.” Justify the statement.Telangana Board - Social Science
How did the Cold War produce arms race as well as arms control?Telangana Board - Social Science
How were the superpowers benefited by military alliances?Telangana Board - Social Science
What are the different roles played by the United Nations in order to build peace in the world?Telangana Board - Social Science
“The ethnic conflicts affected India’s relations with Sri Lanka.” Justify.Telangana Board - Social Science