Democracy has evolved through struggles and movements:
1. Political conflicts lead to popular struggles that involve mass mobilization.
2. The conflicts are usually between groups who have power and those who want a share of it.
3. Such struggles happen when the country is facing the foundational challenge of democracy, expansion or deepening of democracy.
4. For example, In Nepal in 2006, the people, the political parties, and Maoists came together in a popular movement against the monarch and establishment of the elected government.
5. In Bolivia in 2000, the people, organizations, activists etc. protested strongly against the privatization of water rights and the high prices.
Explanation: Democracy derives its power from the people. So people themselves have to come together and struggle for what they think is fair.
Rate this question :