Q. 174.8( 5 Votes )
The actual performance of democracy shows a mixed result. Comment.
Yes, it is true that the actual performance of democracy shows a mixed result. It has been successful in addressing some of the issues while failed in some other issues.
It has been successful in overcoming these problems to some extent:
• It has ensured the dignity and freedom of every citizen of country irrespective of their caste, religion, gender, language or any other discrimination. It provides right to equality, equality before law, equal opportunities of work and prohibition of discrimination.
• Only Democratic government is a form of government which provides accommodation to social differences and conflicts by making everybody learn how to respect every individual’s opinion as differences can never be suppressed completely.
• It ensures accountability and responsibility towards the interest of citizens of the country
It has failed in addressing these problems:
• Reducing economic inequality and poverty: In actual life, democracy is not able to reduce economic inequality or poverty in a democratic country. A small number of rich people have a large proportion of the country’s wealth. On the other hand, the income of a large number of poor people keeps on declining. It is becoming difficult for them to meet their daily needs like food, cloth etc.
• Economic growth: Democracy is very much responsible and important for the development of a nation, but it does not guarantee that.
Rate this question :
How is social diversity accommodated in democracy? Explain with examples.Social Science - Board Papers
Why is there an overwhelming support to democracy all over the world? Explain one reason.Social Science - Board Papers
What is the essence of democracy?Full Marks - Social Science
“Democracy accommodates social diversities.” Support the statement with examples.Social Science - Board Papers
“Democracies lead to peaceful and harmonious life among citizens.” Support the statement with suitable examples.Social Science - Board Papers
How do democracies accommodate various social divisions? Explain with examples.Social Science - Board Papers