Q. 63.9( 7 Votes )
Summary of Vaikkom Basheer’s Malayalam novel.
Vaikkom Muhammad Basheer was a twentieth-century Malayalam novelist, short story writer and a freedom fighter. He was honoured with Padma Shri award by the Government of India for his writings. He was also called Beypore Sultan.
1. Muhammad Basheer was born in Thalayolaparambu in Kottayam district of Kerala on 29th January 1908.
2. He was an ardent follower of Mahatma Gandhiji. He went on to participate in the Salt Satyagraha but his group was arrested before they could make it.
3. He had a passion for writing. He wrote in a simple language that could be understood by even a common man.
4. He did not bother about grammar and wrote in the colloquial language.
5. His writings were a mix of novels, essays and short stories.
6. His first novel was Premalekhanam, a love story between a Hindu boy and a Christian girl. He believed in Secularism.
7. He other writings include Balyakalasakhi, Janmadhinam, and Shabdangal etc.,
8. His work Ntuppuppakkoranendarnnu aimed at putting an end to the superstitious practices which were prevalent among the Muslims.
9. Mathilukal, Amaranthine Nizhalil, Ormayude Arakal etc., are some of this other works.
Basheer lived as a genius who could not be compared with anyone in the selection of themes, characters and the way of narration.
Rate this question :