Suggest and expla
Some of the recent efforts and suggestions in our country to reform political parties and its leaders:
1. Anti- defection law :The Constitution was amended to prevent elected MLAs and MPs from changing parties. This was done because many elected representatives were indulging in DEFECTION in order to become ministers or for cash rewards.Now the law says that if any MLA orMP changes parties, he or she will lose the seat in the legislature.
2. Furnishing details:The Supreme Court passed an order to reduce the influence of money and criminals. Now, it is mandatory for every candidate who contests elections to file an AFFIDAVIT giving details of his property and criminal cases pending against him. The new system has made a lot of information available to the public.
3. Organisational elections: The Election Commission passed an order making it necessary for political parties to hold their organisational elections and file their income tax returns. The parties have started doing so but sometimes it is mere formality.
Besides these, many suggestions are often made to reform political parties:
1. A law should be made to regulate the internal affairs of political parties. It should be made compulsory for political parties to maintain a register of its members, to follow its own constitution, to have an independent authority, to act as a judge in case of party disputes, to hold open elections to the highest posts.
2. It should be made mandatory for political parties to give a minimum number of tickets, about one-third, to women candidates.
3. There should be state funding of elections. The government should give parties money to support their election expenses.
Rate this question :