Q. 115.0( 1 Vote )
State briefly the
• (i)Hydraulic washing
• This is the operation in metallurgy that is based on the differences between specific gravities of the corresponding ore and the gangue particles.
• Hence ,it is a type of gravity separation. In such processes , an upward stream of running water is used to wash the powdered ore.
• The lighter gangue particles are washed away thoroughly and the heavier ore particles are left behind and thus unwanted materials are washed off from the ore.
(ii) Zone refining.
• A metal is extracted by any method is usually contaminated with different sorts of impurities.
• Zone refining is a technique which is used to obtain metals in a highly pure state.
• This method is actually based on the principle where the impurities are more soluble in the melt than in the solid state of the metal.
e.g., germanium, silicon, boron, gallium and indium.
Rate this question :